Stephanie Lyew/Gleaner Author
Jamaica’s songs industry has been left heartbroken and angered by the information that Donald ‘Tabby’ Shaw, the direct singer of the iconic trio Mighty Diamonds was killed final night in a push-by shooting.
Shaw, 67, was amongst a team of persons on McKinley Crescent in the St Andrew South Police Division who arrived under assault.
Examine: ‘Mighty Diamonds’ lead singer among the two killed in travel-by taking pictures
3 other people today were being shot in the travel-by attack.
About ‘Tabby’ Shaw and the Mighty Diamonds
1. The singer-songwriter has devoted five many years to audio
2. He was a component of the Mighty Diamonds with a lot more than 40 albums.
3. Previous yr, Mighty Diamonds comprising Tabby, Lloyd ‘Judge’ Ferguson and Fitzroy ‘Bunny Shaw’ had been bestowed with the Order of Difference (Officer Course) for their contribution to the improvement of Jamaican music.
4. The Mighty Diamonds obtained their breakthrough in the mid-1970s with the music ‘The Correct Time’ and had been signed to Virgin Data just before releasing their debut album Appropriate Time in 1976.
5. The team obtained fame with singles ‘Country Living’, ‘I Have to have A Roof’, and ‘Pass The Kutchie’, which was just one of the tracks on the 1981 album Adjustments developed by Gussie Clarke.
A number of users of the new music fraternity have hailed Shaw.
Gramps Morgan, Grammy award-profitable singer
It all appears like a extremely poor dream or might I say a extremely extensive nightmare that will not conclusion. My coronary heart is in agony (after once more) to listen to that a person who I know nicely, has passed and in this way.
Mikie Bennett, Grafton Studios owner and producer
Singing came so naturally to him that in some cases, he didn’t will need to put any excess effort to make a strike. From my experience as a producer, the only thing that separates a very good vocal from a fantastic vocal is a nudge, and all he would have to have is a nudge in some cases. He was undoubtedly one particular of the golden voices of our era of musicians. It brought a new thrill and exhilaration to me, who at the time was younger in the business enterprise, to see him operate. Tabby was truly a exclusive particular person.
Gussie Clarke, producer
Tabby was a person of the humblest individuals just one could at any time meet.
Dr. Karen R. Eco-friendly, Former Jamaica Federation of Musicians Govt Member
The market has dropped a large who will be tough to swap. His senseless killing the moment once again highlights the will need to control gun violence not only in Jamaica but elsewhere as properly. As a previous govt of the Jamaica Federation of Musicians. I join the fraternity in mourning his demise. It is my hope that the neighborhood will occur up with a fitting tribute to this legendary musician.
Stick to The Gleaner on Twitter and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Mail us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or electronic mail us at [email protected] or [email protected]
Revisiting the 7 weeks in 1991 that changed songs record without end
COREY TAYLOR Weighs In On ED SHEERAN’s Copyright Match, Absurdity Of Music Possession
Brandi Carlile to Receive Songwriter Icon Award at NMPA Annual Meeting